LANG 0045 The Structure of English (WSTC)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 900056
Coordinator Maria Charalambous Opens in new window
Description This unit is designed to improve the English proficiency across the four macro skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening) of University Foundation Studies students who wish to progress to university studies. Students need preparation for both understanding the content of Foundation Studies and being able to participate fully in all units. Such preparation includes making clear the way English is used according to purpose, audience and unit. Moreover, students need to develop their confidence and competence in using the language in academic contexts. By raising the language awareness of students, they will be able to transfer the learning skills across the unit areas. The course also seeks to address the particular speaking needs of overseas students.
School Western Sydney The College
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Restrictions Only students enrolled at The College in Foundation Studies programs can enrol in this unit
- Communicate information in appropriate written mode according to purpose, audience and unit.
- Understand and make meaning from a variety of written academic text types.
- Communicate information in appropriate spoken mode according to purpose, audience and unit.
- Research, interpret, organise and analyse information.
- Understand and make meaning from a variety of spoken academic text types.
- Work effectively in large and small group learning environments
2. Oral presentation skills
3. Speaking skills
4. Academic reading skills
5. Report writing skills
6. Researching for information
7. Academic writing skills
8. Paraphrasing/summarising skills
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short Answer part A||250 words||15||N||Individual|
|Short Answer part B||250 words||15||N||Individual|
|Intra-session exam||L - 45 minutes R/w - 1 hour 45 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Final exam||2.5 hours||35||N||Individual|