NURS 2018 Legal and Ethical Issues in Midwifery
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401037
Coordinator Jacqueline Dempsey Opens in new window
Description This unit explores responsibilities related to the nature and professional context of midwifery. It focuses on developing students understanding of legal and ethical issues and the midwives obligation to work within ethical and legal frameworks for safe practice. The legal and ethical roles and functions of the midwife and their relationship to others are considered in terms of expected standard, responsibilities, accountabilities and scope of practice within the regulatory framework. It will provide an opportunity for students to explore and discuss ethical issues related to midwifery, reproductive and maternal health.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4684 Bachelor of Midwifery.
- Discuss the discipline of midwifery and the context of professional practice within the relevant legal and ethical frameworks.
- Describe the expected standards of practice for the midwife.
- Discuss the legal and ethical responsibilities of the midwife.
- Discuss ethical and legal issues related to reproduction and the practice of midwifery.
- Explain the legal requirements and ethical considerations around collaborative health care relationships between midwives and others.
- Critically reflect and discuss the professional, media and public image of midwifery.
- Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act 2009
- Health Care Complaints Act 1993
- Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 No 157
- child protection responsibilities including Keep them Safe policy guidelines
- The coroners court
- Legal requirements for: Termination of pregnancy -1st and 2nd trimester, Miscarriage /Stillbirths /Neonatal deaths, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), Maternal deaths
2. Regulatory Framework
- Australian health practitioner regulation agency
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council
-midwife Standards for practice
-international Code of ethics for Midwives
-Code of conduct for Midwives in Australia
-Midwifery practice decision flow chart.
3. Professional Framework
- Australian College of Midwives; National Midwifery Guidelines for Consultation and Referral, Role of the consumer
4. Discipline of Midwifery
- Roles, functions and competencies; boundaries of practice, legal issues, philosophical underpinnings of ethics, ethical issues, collaborative health care and midwifery practice, public image of midwifery, critical reflection.
- Ethical issues in Midwifery; introduction to ethics (what is ethics how does it differ from law), philosophical underpinnings of ethics, human rights/ rights to and in healthcare, ethical issues related to reproduction, whistleblowing, conscientious obj
5. Using Research to Inform Practice
- research ethics
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study: Online discussion of case study||400 words||10||N||Individual|
|Critical Review: Critical Incident Written Report||1,500 words||40||N||Individual|
|Final Examination: End of session examination consisting of MCQs and short answer and case study questions||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 2
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Jacqueline Dempsey Opens in new window