LAWS 7058 Introduction to Law
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201045
Coordinator Sandy Noakes Opens in new window
Description This intensive subject provides students with an introduction to the discipline of law and inducts students to the Australian Legal System, the School of Law, the legal profession, and the wider legal community. The subject surveys the fundamentals of the Australian legal systems and introduces students to a range of key legal concepts and debates. Students will be introduced to legal problem-solving methodology, the classifications of law, and skills needed to succeed in the study law. Students are introduced to the intellectual skills of fact-finding, critical analysis, logic, reasoning, evaluation and communication. Students will attend excursions to courts, tribunals, law firms and community legal centres. Students will reflect upon their emerging professional profiles to foster and develop career aspirations.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects LAWS 1007 Introduction to Law (WSTC)
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explore the basis of the Australian law and legal system;
- Analyse logical and legal reasoning to simple legal scenarios;
- Discuss fundamental legal questions so as to communicate effectively and persuasively for lay and expert readers;
- Formulate legal arguments that demonstrates an understanding of the basic functions and key techniques of legal writing;
- Discuss key legal research tools to select relevant primary and secondary legal information to support legal study;
- Develop self-management and self-directed learning strategies to study law and working in legal professions.
- legal Study skills
- how Law is made
- how cases and statute interact
- court hierarchies
- legal research
- legal referencing
- case analysis skills
- statutory interpretation
- legal ethics and justice
- legal practice and Employability
- legal professionalism
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
- Hinchy, Russell, Context and Method in Australian Law (Thomson Reuters, 2nd ed, 2021)
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact John Juriansz Opens in new window
View timetable Opens in new window
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Sandy Noakes Opens in new window