MEDI 7034 Surgical Pathology 3
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401230
Coordinator Tristan Rutland Opens in new window
Description In 2022 this unit replaced by unit 401475 - Surgical Pathology of Skin, Bone and Soft Tissue. This unit will re-inforce the diagnostic entity in skin and soft tissue pathology that were introduced in Surgical Pathology I. The first self-directed online learning module is composed of digitalized images and practical notes on the diagnostic approach to important pathological entities of these sub-specialties. The second online module will revise prior learning of the sub-specialities neuropathology, cardiorespiratory pathology, genito-urinary pathology, salivary gland and endocrine pathology. A literature review and discussion of contemporary and emerging developments in the relevant pathological entity will be conducted. This unit is designed to not only re-inforce/revise the above topics, but to harness effective communication and analytical research skills and to understand the importance of professional development.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4750 Masters of Medicine (Pathology).
A basic undergraduate level knowledge in Pathology and microscopy skills is expected, as the candidates will have a MBBS or equivalent pre-requisite degree.
- Examine and interpret advanced diagnostic entities in surgical pathology in the subspecialties of skin and soft tissue pathology
- Identify common and uncommon disease entities in skin and soft tissue pathology, including the diagnosis of non-neoplastic, benign and malignant entities
- Use research skills to investigate disease entities in skin and soft tissue pathology to reach the correct diagnosis
- Report pathological findings using written and oral communication skills to patients, other health professional and related stakeholders, with application of analytical research skills where necessary to form appropriate conclusions and recommendations regarding further clinical management
- Exemplify the behaviour required to create a safe, caring, ethical and professional practice required by pathologists
2. Soft tissue pathology
3. Analytical research skills (Literature review assessment item)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Skin and Soft Tissue Pathology Diagnostic Case Studies (Online task)||20 cases: 300-500 words each||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Literature Review||2500 word limit||50||Y||Individual|
|Histopathology Case Reports||10 cases: 300-500 words each||50||Y||Individual|
- Patterson J. Weedon�fs Skin Pathology (4th Ed.). Elsevier: London 2015.
- Weiss S.W., Goulburn J.R., Folpe A.L. Enzinger & Weiss�fs Soft Tissue Tumours (6th Ed.). Elsevier: Philadelphia 2013