HLTH 7009 Leadership and Change
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400414
Coordinator Cannas Kwok Opens in new window
Description Within the context of a society where change is ongoing, leadership is required in order to achieve optimum outcomes. Students in this subject will be encouraged to critically explore leadership styles, leadership and change theories, leadership in learning organisations and the community within a primary health care framework. This subject will enable students to assess both the internal and external environments of organisations, communities and individuals as the need for change is identified, planned and implemented. The subject identifies the central strategies necessary for the development of leaders who are able to achieve sustainable change outcomes.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Discipline Health, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYC 0566 - Processes of Change
Students must be enrolled in 4569 Master of Primary Health Care or 4694 Master of Primary Health Care.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Critically apply the principles of leadership theory to the development of effective individual and organisational leadership strategies for practice within a primary health care approach;
- Reflect on the relationship between leadership and management;
- Understand and incorporate the importance of emotional intelligence as a factor in leading sustainable change processes;
- Critically examine the empowering role of education in facilitating change outcomes;
- Critically examine the relationship between leadership, organisational culture and sustainable change;
- Critically explore the effects of internal and external environmental factors on organisations as they move through change processes.
Theories and styles of leadership.
Empowerment, motivation and sustainable change.
Critical reflection and change outcomes.
Learning organisations and leadership.
Mentorship in leadership development.
Internal and external environmental influences on change processes.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Analysis of workplace or community change strategy||3,000 words||60||N||Individual|
- There is no essential textbook.