ELEC 4007 Wireless Communications
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300065
Coordinator Ranjith Liyanapathirana Opens in new window
Description The subject covers the analysis, design and operation of modern wireless communication systems. The primary focus is on the physical layer and hardware, emphasizing the fundamentals of coding and modulation, spread spectrum and multiple access techniques. Current wireless architectures and mobile communication systems are also covered.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Communications Technologies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Pre-requisite(s) ELEC 3001 OR
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 5692 - Digital Communication Engineering
Students should have a good understanding of signals and systems, probability and random processes and fundamentals of communication systems.
- Describe and analyse current wireless communication systems including GSM, CDMA, PCS, W-LAN. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 3G and 4G mobile systems.
- Describe and analyse coding and modulation techniques used in wireless communication systems.
- Analyse bit error rates, receiver structures (correlation and matched filter), spectral occupancy and antenna diversity.
- Explain the physical properties of the radio channel.
- Describe basic forms of multiple access techniques applied to wireless communication.
- Calculate a free-space link budget and a terrestrial link budget.
- Determine bit error probabilities and coding gains of coding and modulation techniques used in wireless communication.
- Design wireless communication systems
The cellular system; design fundamentals
Frequency reuse, channel assignment strategies, handoff
Interference and system capacity
Mobile radio propagation; multipath fading, Rayleigh and Ricean distributions
Signal Space Design techniques
Matched Filter and Correlation Receiver
Coding and Modulation techniques for wireless communication, Spread Spectrurm Modulation
Equalization, diversity and channel coding
Multiple access techniques (FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, OFDM)
Novel wireless architectures, wireless systems and standards (WCDMA)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Intra-session Exam||1 hour, closed book, individual||20||N||Individual|
|Practical||5 x 3 hrs individual, practical assignments||20||Y||Individual|
|Final Exam||3 hours individual, closed book||60||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Ranjith Liyanapathirana Opens in new window