PERF 3014 Music and Critical Thought
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102573
Coordinator Michelle Stead Opens in new window
Description Music and Critical Thought considers definitions of music and how music is constituted. It asks how we encounter and experience music, and what makes a piece of music aesthetically pleasing and who decides. It asks whether the meanings attributed to music are as much intrinsic as they are cultural. The unit considers emotions and feelings in music, and why we would listen to music if it makes us feel sad. When music is used as an instrument of torture is it still music? How do we view the composer in the musical work? Where does creativity reside in a musical work? Is there a difference between musical thinking and thinking about music? Is music representational or immanent or both? Is music political? The unit provides an historical overview of the important debates and considers the poststructuralist critique of these debates. Students will design a question chosen from the topics covered in the unit, and retrieve and critically evaluate the appropriate literature for their project.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects PERF 3015 - Music and Meaning PERF 3016 - Music and Philosophy
- define key critical terms and concepts in music
- explain the critical debates in music
- apply critical thinking to music and to music analysis
- evaluate the poststructuralist intervention into critical thinking in music
- design a research project
- write a proposal for a research project
- retrieve and provide a literature review for a research project
- unfold a sustained, critical argument as an essay for a research project
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: Develop, implement and promote Art of Sound activities and projects, guiding and collaborating with students across the Music program to further progress leadership, advanced production and performance skills. Involvement in Art of Sound will culminate in contribution to the program and coordination of the Creativity Unlimited Music Festival.
What is critical thought?
the music and meaning debate
emotion, feeling and music
music and representation
aesthetics and music
the composer and the musical work
ethics, morality and music
music and torture
politics and music
poststructuralism and music
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Presentation||15 Minutes + weekly written and oral participation||30||N||Individual|
|Art of Sound||Minimum 2 hrs per fortnight||S/U - 0||Y||Individual|
- R.A Sharpe. Philosophy of Music: An Introduction. Bucks: Acumen Publishing Limited, 2004
2022 Semester 2
Subject Contact Michelle Stead Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.