JUST 0004 Introduction to the Australian Legal System (WSTC)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 900083
Coordinator Bader Unnisa Mehdi Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to develop an understanding of the Australian legal system for students whose courses involve law subjects relevant to their area of study, such as Business, Construction, Policing and Criminology. Students will investigate the role of the Australian legal system in contemporary society, and explore its relevance to their chosen career path through project-based assessments. The subject will also help students develop the language and communication skills necessary for further tertiary study.
School Western Sydney The College
Discipline Legal Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Equivalent Subjects JUST 0003 - Introduction to the Australian Legal System (WSTC Prep)
JUST 0005 - Introduction to the Australian Legal System – Fast Track (UWSC)
Students must be enrolled at The College.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Define and use key legal terminology appropriately.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key legal concepts, the role of law in society and its impact upon Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Explain the relevance of the Australian legal system to their chosen career path.
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills.
- Observe and report on the operation of Australian courts.
- Demonstrate skills in legal problem solving.
1. The concept of law and the development of Australia's legal system.
2. The basic composition of the Australian legal system and introduction to key legal terms.
3. The function and operation of Australian courts.
4. The operation and practical relevance of major areas of law (including criminal/civil law, contract law, tort law and international law).
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||40 minutes per quiz||40||N||Individual|
|Case Study||1000 words||25||N||Individual|
- Carvan, J. (2015). Understanding the Australian legal system (7th ed.). Rozelle, N.S.W: Thomson Reuters Professional Australia Ltd. http://west-sydney-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/UWS-ALMA:uws_alma_scope:UWS-ALMA21136423170001571