LANG 3022 Chinese 303: Twentieth-Century Chinese Literature
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100064
Coordinator Ruying Qi Opens in new window
Description This subject introduces students to modern and contemporary Chinese literature in the Chinese language. It includes a brief overview of Twentieth-century Chinese literature, and exposes students to a variety of literary genres. Students are expected to work individually and in groups in order to analyse, evaluate and critique these works, whose social and cultural context is integral to understanding them. This process will not only increase students' understanding and appreciation of Twentieth-century Chinese literature, but it will also develop their critical thinking skills.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Eastern Asian Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Chinese 204 or equivalent knowledge.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of twentieth-century Chinese literature and prominent writers and poets of that period;
- analyse and evaluate texts of various Chinese literary genres in their social and cultural context;
- appreciate and interpret the use of language in literary aesthetics;
- enhance their literary appreciation skills and their critical thinking skills;
- utilize their critical understanding of Chinese literature and its tradition;
- further develop the necessary skills to write literary criticism in Chinese.
A study of selected works from prominent modern writers such as Lu Xun, Ba Jin, Lao She, Cao Yu, Qian Zhongshu, Ding Ling;
A study of selected works from prominent contemporary writers such as Wang Meng, Zhang Xianliang, Liang Xiaosheng;
A study of selected works from prominent contemporary poets such as Bei Dao, Gu Cheng, Shu Ting;
A study of selected works from prominent contemporary Hong Kong, Taiwan and overseas writers such as Jin Yong, Qiong Yao.
There are inherent requirements for this subject that you must meet in order to successfully complete this subject. Make sure you read and understand the requirements for your subject online.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|15-20 minutes including discussion
- Materials to be prepared by the school.