NURS 3031 Midwifery Professional Practice 6
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401224
Coordinator Elisha Stein Opens in new window
Description This unit provides the opportunity for students to consolidate their knowledge and skills in preparation for their role as a midwife. Students will be assessed across the seven standards of the Midwife standards for practice. Students will gain practical experience in designated clinical areas and will follow women through pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period in a continuity of care experience.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Co-requisite(s) NURS 3025
Equivalent Subjects NURS 3029 Midwifery Practice Experience 5
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4684 Bachelor of Midwifery.
- Identify NMBA standards requirements for registration as a midwife
- Provide evidence of proficiency across the seven midwifery standards
- Provide evidence of reflection on practice
- Provide comprehensive midwifery care, under the supervision of a midwife for 5 women as part of their Continuity of Care Experience
2. Reflective and ethical practice
3. Requirements for completion of Bachelor of Midwifery Practice Portfolio
Special Requirements - NSW Health Legislative Prerequisites
Student Compliance Information for all Health-Related Placements
Prior to enrolling in this subject, students must have submitted a Student Undertaking Form and undertake to apply for a National Police Check, which is required to be submitted before placement, and a Working with Children Check Student Declaration. Use the link to the Special Requirements webpage below for more information.
To be eligible to enrol in this subject and complete any required health-related placements or experiences, students must meet Western Sydney University program requirements as well as any special, legislated, or policy-mandated requirements.
Western Program Requirements
Visit the Special Requirements webpage for details about your program.
Mandatory NSW Health student placement policy requirements
To be able to undertake placement in any NSW Health facility you must be assessed as compliant with NSW Health student placement policy in the first year of your program, regardless of when you expect to go on your first placement. Access and read the NSW Student Compliance Information Booklet.
Please ensure that you
- Find your existing National Police Check or apply for one
- Gather documentary evidence of your vaccination history
- Print and compete all relevant NSW Health forms relevant to the campus you are enrolled at or online enrolment requirements
- Follow booklet instructions on how to have your compliance documents assessed by NSW health staff.
International students have additional requirements; the link to the booklet will inform you of these requirements.
Contact your School for further details regarding your School’s requirements, if any, such as
- If you live outside of NSW or Australia and need to meet your state, territory or country’s compliance requirements
- If you need to meet different state, territory or country compliance requirements.
- NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) or other state equivalent, valid for your entire program.
- Current approved first aid certificate valid for your entire program - approved program providers can be found at the Government Training website
- Other non-health related requirements.
Student Compliance Resources are also available on the Placements Hub web page (NSW students only)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Submission of completed Midwifery Professional Practice Portfolio, comprising: - Midwifery Log of Practice Experience - Midwifery Continuity of Care Case Notes including reflection||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Clinical placement 100% attendance and Australian Midwifery Standards Assessment Tool (AMSAT) x 1 summative||100% Attendance||S/U||Y||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Elisha Stein Opens in new window