BUSM 7062 Managerial Finance
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200787
Coordinator Walid Bakry Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required for understanding, analysing and solving corporate financial management issues. The focus is corporate-oriented with emphasis on the practical application of economic theory in financial decisions confronting business today.
Discipline Business And Management
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 8667 - Financial Management
Incompatible Subjects ACCT 7014 - Financial Management of Hospitality and Hotel Managers LGYA 7713 - Financial Management in Health Services HLTH 7005 - Health Financial Management
Students must be enrolled in the following programs: 2755 Master of Business Administration, 2757 Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, 2762 Executive Master of Business Administration.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relevance of corporate finance to business practice;
- Attain knowledge of the key issues facing financial managers;
- Comprehend and apply finance theory underlying financial management;
- Implement skills in corporate financial-decision making;
- Be able to appraise the current financial environment in which business decisions are made.
Annual report, cash flow, role of time value in finance
The time value of money
Risk, return and the Security Market Line (SML)
Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM)
Interest rates, bond valuation, valuing shares, and dividends
Long-term investing and capital budgeting
Net present value, other investment criteria, consideration of risk
Financial leverage and capital structure policy
Lease or purchase
Mergers and acquisitions
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Intra-session Exam||1.5 hours||N||Individual|
|Case Study||2,000 words||N||Group|
|Final exam||2 hours||Y||Individual|
- Gitman, L., Juchau, R., and Flanagan, J. 2011, Principles of Managerial Finance, 6th edition, Pearson, ISBN 9781442518193