LANG 3023 Chinese 304: Chinese Classical Literature
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100065
Coordinator Ruying Qi Opens in new window
Description This subject introduces students to Chinese classical literature in the Chinese language. It includes a brief overview of Chinese classical literature and exposes students to the prose, poetry, drama and fiction genres of Chinese classical works from the Han dynasty to the Qing dynasty. Through selected readings, students will gain some knowledge of the stylistic and linguistic features of classical prose and develop skills in reading classical Chinese. Students will also develop an understanding of the Chinese literary tradition and an appreciation of the continuing relevance of classical Chinese in contemporary China.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Eastern Asian Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the development of Chinese classical literature
- Show an understanding of the syntax and particles of classical Chinese and its linguistic and stylistic features
- Convey the meaning of a classical Chinese text in modern Chinese
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the selected works in their social and historical context
- Show an understanding of the Chinese literary tradition and the development of the Chinese language
- Demonstrate high level literary and critical thinking skills
A study of selected prose from the Han dynasty
A study of selected poems and prose from the Tang dynasty
A study of selected prose and poems in irregular metre from the Song dynasty
A study of selected plays from the Yuan dynasty
A study of selected novels from the Ming and Qing dynasties
There are inherent requirements for this subject that you must meet in order to successfully complete this subject. Make sure you read and understand the requirements for your subject online.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Presentation||10-15 minutes including discussion||30||N||Individual|
|Intra-session exam||2 hours||30||N||Individual|
- Materials to be prepared by the school
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Ruying Qi Opens in new window