HUMN 7001 Advanced Social Research Methods
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102177
Coordinator Rowena Butland Opens in new window
Description Students in Advanced Social Research Methods concentrate on methods for collecting and analysing research data. The subject builds on the key research concepts established in 102175 Research in the Social Sciences, in particular research methodology. Advanced Social Research Methods provides students with an overview of research design and the methods for collecting and analysing research data within the broad spectrum of the social sciences. This includes purposes, strengths and limitations and applications to professional domains and/or discipline contexts. Students attend in-depth workshops on specific methods offered by practicing researchers to evaluate the merits of different research methods.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Studies In Human Society
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) HUMN 7036
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Critically compare different research methodologies and approaches in the Social Sciences.
- Demonstrate critical and strategic understanding of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research traditions in the social sciences.
- Demonstrate depth of understanding of a range of methods of collecting and analysing research data, including their purposes, strengths and limitations.
- Explicate the potential application of methods for collecting and analysing research data in relation to a research topic in a social science setting.
1. Research Methodologies in the Social Sciences ? theories and frameworks
2. Evaluation of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods traditions
3. Methods of collecting and analysing research data (a range of methods will be reviewed)
4. Reading and evaluating social research reports
5. Application in professional fields of social research and social research methods
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Participation - online discussion on guest lectures||4 x 250 word contributions (total 1,000 words)||10||N||Individual|
|Reflection - critical reflections on 3 methods of data collection||3 x 1,000 word reflections (3000 words total)||45||N||Individual|
|Report - critical reflection on data analysis based on 2 of the methods discussed in assignment 2||2,000 words||45||N||Individual|
- Bryman, A. (2016) Social research methods. (5th edn.). Oxford, NY: Oxford University Press.