DESN 1021 Web and Time-based Design
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101922
Coordinator Greg Hughes Opens in new window
Description Students will develop fundamental computer software skills and design understandings appropriate to using major web and time based design technologies such as HTML and CSS. They will develop a working understanding of production literacies for online design and time-based design. Students will engage in practical studies of web authoring. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the roles, functions and features of key screen based technologies, design production context for online delivery, current industry best practices, and a working understanding of the responsibilities inherent in the digital design and production process.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Graphic Design Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects DESN 1020 - Web and Time-based Design DESN 1022 - Web and Time-based Design (WSTC)
Introductory level understanding of and skills in design principles particularly basic layout, colour and typographic knowledge. Digital basics including working in a networked environment on a Macintosh computer. Ability to manage, transport and store digital information.
- Apply graphic design concepts appropriate to the specific concerns of a time-based and/or online environment.
- Apply methods and processes for planning web sites and time-based outcomes.
- Demonstrate an applied understanding of designing to a brief with regard to online contexts, audiences and genres.
- Use terminology and apply industry practices appropriate to preparing, generating and deploying web sites and time-based outcomes.
- Demonstrate an applied understanding of the major technologies such as HTML, CSS and JQUERY as the basis for authoring web sites..
- Demonstrate an applied understanding of the standard software applications for producing, optimising and manipulating images or artwork for web and/or time-based outcomes.
- production processes for designing, developing and delivering online responsive websites.
- fundamental online concepts: responsive design, information architecture, interface design, navigation, user experience and user interaction.
- File formatting, naming conventions, File pathways and how to transfer files to and from A web server.
- Image optimization and preparation for online delivery.
- fundamental time based design concepts: Basic animation principles and graphics in motion.
- production processes for designing, developing and delivering time-based web elements.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Project 1 - Practical Assignment - Portfolio of 2 sequential exercises||1. Multi-page website; 2. Multi or single page (long scroll) website||50||N||Individual|
|Project 2 -Practical Assignment - Portfolio of 2 sequential projects||1. Web design and time-based element planning material, as a multi or single page (long scroll) website; 2. Multi or single page (long scroll) website, including time-based element||50||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Greg Hughes Opens in new window