PUBH 1008 Professional Pathways in Health Science
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400783
Coordinator Nicole Peel Opens in new window
Description The unit introduces students to the health science workforce. It discusses professional issues, history and philosophy in health sciences as they relate to health promotion, health service management, therapeutic recreation and public health. In addition, this unit explores the career pathways for health science students, discusses the Australian health system, and examines the impacts of potential changes in the health system to a career in health science. This unit helps students define what area within health science they would like to examine and study in more detail.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Public Health, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects PUBH 1004 - Foundations of Health Sciences LGYA 7157 - Foundation of Therapeutic Recreation PUBH 1009 - Professional Pathways in Health Science (UWSC)
- Identify major factors and ideas that underpin health promotion, public health, therapeutic recreation and health services management.
- Examine the influence and relevance of early professional ideas on current concepts and practices in health science.
- Describe the basic competencies required of health science professionals.
- Apply critical and analytical reflective writing skills and explain their importance for the health science professional.
2. History of Health Science Professions
3. Professional Pathways in Health Science
4. Theoretical Frameworks, Systems and Models in Health Science
5. Developing Skills in Health Science
6. Communication in the Health Science Professions
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short-answer Quizzes: 4 online short-answer quizzes||300 words each, 45 minutes each||20||N||Individual|
|Report: Health Professionals Interview Report||1,500 words||20||N||Group|
|Presentation: Health Professionals Interview Presentation||10 minutes||10||N||Group|
|Reflection: Reflective Essay||1,000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Tutorial Participation||10 weeks||10||N||Individual|
- DeLaet, R. (2012). Introduction to health care & careers. Baltimore: Wolters Kluwer.
- Weiss, D., Tilin, F, & Morgan, M. (2014). The Interprofessional health team. Burlington: Jones and Bartlett Learning.