LANG 0006 Academic English 1 (WSTC)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 900074
Coordinator Mira Baird Opens in new window
School Western Sydney The College
Discipline English Language
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
- Communicate information in appropriate written mode according to purpose, audience and unit.
- Understand and make meaning from a variety of written academic text types.
- Communicate information in appropriate spoken mode according to purpose, audience and unit.
- Research, interpret, organise and analyse information.
- Understand and make meaning from a variety of spoken academic text types.
- Work effectively in large and small group learning environments.
- Listening / note-taking skills
- Seminar presentation skills
- Research report skills
- Citation / reference skills
- Academic language skills
- Paraphrasing / summarising skills
- Academic essay genre
- Research skills using library databases
- English Grammar (focus of additional 2 hour component)
- Pronunciation (focus of additional 2 hour component)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|In-class writing task||1 hour 15 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Mid-Term exam – Listening, reading, writing||Listening - 45 minutes Reading/Writing – 1 hour 45 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Research Report||1200 words||20||N||Individual|
|Oral Presentation – individual||10 minutes||15||N||Individual|
|Final Exam – Listening, reading, writing||Listening – 45 minutes Reading/Writing – 3 hours + 10 minutes reading time||35||N||Individual|