COMP 7002 Advanced Topics in Networking
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300252
Coordinator Seyed Shahrestani Opens in new window
Description This unit focuses on the advanced features of networked systems and the emerging network technologies and services. The unit provides students with an in-depth understanding of relevant protocols, the emerging standards, and standards organisations. The emphasis of the unit is on development of the student skills to enable them to do proficient research and development works and studies in the computer networking discipline.
School Computer, Data & Math Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program
Students should be familiar with the fundamentals of computer networking. In particular, students should have a good understanding of the OSI model, the TCP/IP protocol suite, and current Internet and networking technologies. Therefore, it is strongly advised that students must have either taken an appropriate subject in computer networking (e.g., 300695 Network Technologies), or have equivalent knowledge.
- Explain the important concepts relevant to emerging networks and the Internet technologies and architecture.
- Explain the contemporary issues in security, forensics, and reliability of modern networked systems.
- Explain the important issues in modern applications and services relying on networked systems.
- Evaluate the technologies and performance of emerging networks.
- Demonstrate their proficiency with key research and development issues in the field of networking and network-based services.
Research, Resources, and Citation
Contemporary Issues in Computer Networking
Advanced Networked Systems Forensics, Security, and Reliability
Advanced Network-based Services
Trends in Networking and Internet Technologies
Methodologies for Research in Networking
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short reports and/or seminars||1,000-1,500 words, 10-20 minutes each||50||N||Individual|
|Case Study or Project Report||6 pages long||50||N||Individual|
- Access to Journals, Conference Proceedings, Standards and other relevant publications, through ACM Digital Library, IEEEXplore, ScienceDirect
2022 Semester 2
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Seyed Shahrestani Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.