LANG 7023 Language and Linguistics Research Methods
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101854
Coordinator Christopher Davis Opens in new window
Description This unit aims to help postgraduate students acquire the knowledge and skills to design and carry out a research project in the field of Languages and Linguistics (I.e. Contrastive Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Language-in-Education Planning, First and Second Language Acquisition, Interpreting and Translation, Discourse Analysis and Descriptive Linguistics). It includes theoretical and practical work in specific areas of research in Languages and Linguistics.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LANG 7024 - Language and Linguistics Research Methods
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
- undertake the basic steps to conducting research;
- examine the main research methodologies, analytical techniques, and research and writing strategies relevant to the field of languages and linguistics;
- read critically and review research papers in the field of languages and linguistics;
- employ, where applicable, basic techniques in descriptive and inferential statistics; and
- produce a design for a research project, and conduct a small research project.
Research models used in the field of Language and Linguistics, including qualitative and quantitative approaches
Critical reading and comments of a representative sample of research papers in the field of Languages and Linguistics
Basic descriptive statistical concepts and techniques
Basic inferential statistical concepts and techniques
Data collection and analysis in the field of Language and Linguistics
Transcription of oral data
An appreciation of, and the ability to use, the prescribed academic register of English appropriate to research
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical academic reading and writing exercise||1000 words||30||N||Individual|
|Research Analysis Exercise - graphs and statistical analysis||500-800 words||20||N||Individual|
|Project Report||1200-1500 words||40||N||Individual|
- Wray, A., & Bloomer, A. (2013). Projects in linguistics: A practical guide to researching language (3rd ed.). London: Hodder Arnold.
- Wray, A., & Bloomer, A. (2006). Projects in linguistics: A practical guide to researching language (2nd ed.). London: Hodder Arnold.
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Christopher Davis Opens in new window