RADI 7001 Advanced Principles and Practice of Cardiac Sonography
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401247
Coordinator Paul Stoodley Opens in new window
Description This unit is an essential part of the final year of the Masters in Cardiac Sonography. It will build on the student's knowledge and skills gained in prior units, as they select and study a contemporary cardiac ultrasound technology. Students are required to research and write a literature review about their chosen technology, and to evaluate their own use of the technology in clinical practice. In addition, students will have the opportunity to teach first year cardiac sonographers, and write a reflection on their teaching experience.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in the Master of Cardiac Sonography.
- Evaluate relevant research and compose a literature review utilizing advanced research and academic writing skills
- Appraise the clinical application of a contemporary cardiac ultrasound technology
- Reflect on the aspects of adept cardiac sonography practice through teaching student sonographers
- subject introduction: An Overview of potential research Topics and subject structure
- Journals forum: meetings weeks 2, 3 and 4 to discuss and review relevant grey literature, review articles and original research
- Imaging tutorial: practical lessons on i) the clinical application, and ii) the research utility of the chosen contemporary ultrasound technology (week 7)
- Writing tutorials: meetings weeks 7, 9 and 10 on the essential aspects of writing and editing a literature review
Module 2. Teaching Experience
- Teaching preparation: a tutorial on preparing a teaching plan (aims, outcomes, timetable) and the structure of the teaching sessions (week 4)
- Teaching sessions: two teaching sessions to first year cardiac sonography students (in weeks 5 and 13)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Report||2000 words (excluding references)||50||Y||Individual|
|Imaging Journal||900 words total (excluding image legends)||30||N||Individual|
|Teaching Reflection||650 words total||20||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Subject Contact Paul Stoodley Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.