BUSM 1001 Business Academic Skills
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200336
Coordinator Nadine Campbell Opens in new window
Description This is a foundation subject that addresses academic essay writing skills relevant to business and economic issues. The subject is designed to develop basic student proficiencies such as information collection, analysis and evaluation, and logical reasoning skills. Through the analysis of ethical issues, this subject teaches students to research; reference using the College of Business and Law's Harvard style; analyse data; develop an argument; and write an academic essay.
Discipline Business Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects BUSM 1034 - Business Skills and Communication BUSM 1002 - Business Academic Skills (UWSC) BUSM 1003 - Creative Industries Business Academic Skills
Restrictions External offerings for this subject are only available to students who are enrolled in a Property program or field of study.
HSC English or equivalent.
- Analyse assessment tasks to determine requirements and appropriate composition and response;
- Undertake library searches and evaluate business and economics literature with regard to explicit and implicit assumptions, logic of arguments and appropriateness;
- Organise and analyse information to develop a position and supporting arguments;
- Prepare written texts which are well structured, cohesive and appropriately cited;
- Identify issues of integrity and ethical practices in academic and business contexts.
- academic essays
- Researching and referencing
- reading and Evaluating sources
- note-taking and organising information
- Constructing A thesis
- developing, supporting and documenting An argument
- Paragraphs and sentences
- Coherence and voice
- introductions and conclusions
- Proofreading and editing
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Portfolio||Online – 3x MyWritingLab Modules and 2x library quizzes||10||N||Individual|
|Annotated Bibliography||500 words||5||N||Individual|
|Critical Review||50 words||1.5||N||Individual|
|Literature Review||500 words||6||N||Individual|
- Campbell, N (ed.) 2011, Business academic skills 2011, 4th edn, Pearson Education, Sydney Australia [Custom Publication designed for this unit]