JUST 3008 Independent Study (Law)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200704
Coordinator Elen Seymour Opens in new window
Description This subject will result in the writing of a research paper of 5,000 words on an approved topic in law. It is anticipated that the subject will be used in appropriate situations such as where the Law School has a Visiting Professor who is prepared to supervise independent study in an area related to their expertise. The intent is that the areas researched will focus principally on those areas identified by the Schools in its Research Strategy. These include (i) international and trans-national governance, (ii) elder law, (iii) law and medicine, (iv) revenue law and (v) professional services law.
Discipline Legal Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Present a sustained evidence based research paper
- Demonstrate a high level of comprehension of the selected topic
- Undertake legal research to locate up to date and accurate information from a variety of both primary and secondary sources
- Engage in analytical, critical and reflective evaluation of issues and materials
- Develop reasoned, coherent and persuasive arguments that lead to a logical conclusion
- Demonstrate excellent academic method
- Demonstrate originality in research and writing
Research methodology and support activities
Submission of paper
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.