LAWS 3006 Australian Consumer Law
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200858
Coordinator Adrian Coorey Opens in new window
Description This unit examines the main statutory provisions of the Australian Consumer Law. Specifically, it examines key concepts and principles of Australian Consumer Law, relevant case law, and statutory remedies that are available. The unit will provide students with not only an understanding of the theoretical basis of Australian Consumer Law, but also a practical understanding of how the provisions are applied.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 2003
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 4905 Consumer Law and Policy
- Develop and demonstrate a detailed understanding of the Australian Consumer Law and related principles, policies, cases and statutes;
- Apply understanding of Australian Consumer Law concepts to analysing and solving practical problems and theoretical legal issues;
- Construct and critically evaluate legal arguments by reference to relevant legislation and case law in the consumer protection law field;
- Apply understanding of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's role in enforcing the Australian Consumer Law;
- Ethically and accurately reference (using the Australian Guide to Legal Citation) legal information from a range of primary and secondary sources; and
- Use a range of legal research tools to locate and evaluate primary and secondary legal information and to develop clear and logical arguments based on legal authority.
Misleading or Deceptive Conduct
False or Misleading Representations
Unfair Contract Terms
Other Sharp Practices
Remedies under the Australian Consumer Law
Powers of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||Refer to learning guide||5||N||Individual|
|Essay - Written assignment||2,500 words||35||N||Individual|
|Take-home paper||2,500 words||50||N||Individual|
- Adrian Coorey, Australian Consumer Law (LexisNexis, 2015).
- Adrian Coorey, Australian Consumer Law - The Comprehensive Guide (Jurisprudentia, Sydney, 2021). Note: This book is available online at https://www.jurisprudentia.com.au/.
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Adrian Coorey Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.