BUSM 7083 Security Analysis and Portfolio Theory
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 51212
Coordinator Heath Spong Opens in new window
Description This unit examines the valuation of assets, firms and securities. The focus is on the attempt by active investors to identify mispriced securities through projection of a firm's future cash flows based on pro forma financial statements, translating those projections to values and dividing the firm value among the different security holders of the firm. Students develop their understanding of accounting, finance and economic concepts in this applied unit by building models of a firm and conducting analyses of the equity valuation.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate Business program.
- Analyse financial and non-financial company and industry information;
- Assess a company's future prospects;
- Classify the concepts and limitations of traditional valuation approaches;
- Valuate different types of securities;
- Classify the concepts of alternative valuation approaches;
Understanding the business
Financial Ratio Analysis
Cash Flow Analysis
The cost of capital
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz – short answer questions||1.5 hours||20||N||Individual|
|Group Report||2,000 words||20||N||Group|
|Final examination||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
- Lundholm, R & Sloan, R 2013, Equity valuation and analysis, 3rd edn, McGraw-Hill.
2022 Quarter 2
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Heath Spong Opens in new window