MEDI 7044 Diabetes in Primary Care
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401288
Coordinator David Simmons Opens in new window
Description Most of the health care provided to people with diabetes is provided by general practice clinicians and multidisciplinary health care professionals in primary care. This unit will explore the core issues that arise in primary care relating to foundational aspects of care. The unit will comprise of Learning Pods/modules that enable students to choose and learn about areas of practice that are most relevant to their health discipline, context of care and gap in knowledge. There will be a compulsory Learning Pod/modules on primary prevention, secondary and tertiary prevention in primary care and the role of inter-professional integrated practice. Students will also be able to choose from the following diabetes related Learning Pods such as medication therapy, exercise therapy, nutrition therapy and podiatry, insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring sensors, cardiovascular and renal health, aged care in diabetes in primary care.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 3 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in the a postgraduate program with evidence of 12 month clinically relevant practice or substantial experience in working with people with diabetes.
Advanced knowledge in diabetes care and education.
- Analyse the concept and principles of primary, secondary and tertiary prevention for people with diabetes in primary care.
- Individualise holistic management and education for people with diabetes when prescribing, titrating and monitoring one central approach (medication, nutritional, exercise, podiatric therapy)
- Individualise holistic management and education for people with diabetes with complex needs.
- Apply primary care strategies to overcome common barriers to self-management for people with diabetes in the context of their lives.
- Inter-professional practice
- Diabetes Medication intensification
- Weight loss and nutrition
- Podiatry therapy
- Exercise therapy
- American Association of Diabetes Educators(2017) The Art and Science of Diabetes Self-Management Education Desk Reference, 3rd Edition, American Association of Diabetes Educators