DESN 4007 Professional Design Experience: The Studio
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102278
Coordinator Katrina Sandbach Opens in new window
Description The Burrow design studio simulates a professional environment where students heighten their design thinking and practice through work-integrated learning. In this subject, the student is positioned as a junior designer who is part of a team working in response to live briefs with real learning partners and tangible outcomes, under the guidance of tutors who act as creative directors. Students will develop their higher level professional design skills through working individually and collaboratively to manage projects from briefing, research, development, pitching, artworking, production and delivery. Through this subject, students will also advance their understanding of what the industry expects of junior designers, providing a bridge between study and work life.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Graphic Design Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Pre-requisite(s) DESN 3006
Equivalent Subjects DESN 4008 - Professional Design Studio
Successful completion of 240 credit points in currently enrolled program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply a range of skills in idea generation, concept development, reflective practice, artworking, presentation and production
- Develop professional and ethical standards of communication and conduct in relation to working with colleagues, supervisors, learning partners and suppliers
- Identify and use relevant research methodologies to inform understanding of target audience and develop appropriate concepts for learning partner briefs
- Practice industry-standard methods of project management, such as pitching, quoting and delivery as part of a studio team
- Engage with a variety of design development and production processes that lead to appropriate finished outcomes.
- Online material pertaining to professional practice issues such as ethics, project management, communication
- Studio team meetings
- Learning partner visits to receive formative feedback
- Field visits as required by the brief
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Client Pitch and Individual Statement||Visual and written work equivalent to 3000 words||40||N||Group|
|Project Outcomes and Individual Report||Visual and written work equivalent to 4000 words||50||N||Individual|
|Quick Brief||Equivalent to 1000 words||10||N||Group|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Katrina Sandbach Opens in new window