LANG 3083 Specialised Translation (UG)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100198
Coordinator Kenny Wang Opens in new window
Description This subject explores the functional, discursive, rhetorical, syntactic, semantic and lexical features of texts in the following specialised fields: tourism, news media, legal texts, technical & scientific materials. Knowledge of the functions and textual features of specialised texts will provide a basis for translating these specialised texts from and into English. Students will analyse the texts in both languages, and discuss ways in which the texts are to be translated. The subject will be available, depending on sufficient demand, for Arabic, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Translating and Interpreting
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Restrictions Students must be bilingual in the language combinations offered by the School
Proficiency in English and one other language (LOTE) at native or near-native level.
- identify and analyse the functional, discursive, rhetorical, syntactic, semantic and lexical features of English texts in the specialised fields of tourism, law, journalism and science and technology;
- identify and analyse the functional, discursive, rhetorical, syntactic, semantic and lexical features of LOTE texts in the specialised fields of tourism, law, journalism and science and technology; and
- deploy translation strategies appropriate to the specific text types.
2. Introduction of different specialised genres.
3. Translation of texts to and from English from specialised fields such as information booklets at museums, news articles of various types, prescriptive and non-prescriptive legal texts, technical manuals.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||2 x 30 minutes||20||N||Individual|
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Kenny Wang Opens in new window