LANG 3056 Japanese 306: Japanese Popular Culture
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102219
Coordinator Hiromi Muranaka Opens in new window
Description This subject aims to reinforce the Japanese language in all four skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing, via the medium of Japanese popular culture, e.g. manga, anime, Japanese drama and/or J-pop, by exploring and analysing culturally and linguistically specific issues of the language, e.g. address terms and taking turns. Students will explore natural Japanese text and speech in both casual and formal styles at an advanced level, as well as increase their knowledge and understanding of Japanese popular culture.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Southeast Asian Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Japanese 203 and 204 or equivalent knowledge.
- Communicate in Japanese in a more natural fashion in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrate skills in reading and comprehending authentic Japanese materials.
- Identify linguistic varieties (e.g. based on gender, status and age) in the Japanese language.
- Demonstrate an understanding of non-verbal communication patterns found in the Japanese culture and society.
- language tasks to promote fluency in all four language skills.
- Analysis of specific issues in Japanese language (e.g. address forms, characteristics of casual/formal speech, male/female speech, politeness, onomatopoeia).
- comprehension of non-verbal cultural Issues related to Japanese society through Japanese popular culture materials found in gesture, facial expressions and choice of Topics, etc.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|10-20 minutes presentation and an essay equivalent to 2,000-3,000 Japanese characters
|UP to 2 hours
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Hiromi Muranaka Opens in new window