HUMN 0003 Academic Skills for the Social Sciences (WSTC Prep)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700233
Coordinator Christopher Roffey Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces students to the essential academic skills required for success in tertiary studies. It employs an explicit pedagogy approach to teach students how to become independent, active, and reflective learners. The unit also includes essential research and writing skills specific to the social sciences.
School Western Sydney The College
Discipline Studies in Human Society, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College.
- Use both independent and collaborative learning strategies to advance the knowledge of the individual and that of their peers.
- Communicate effectively through the development of critical reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in context.
- Locate and use information technology systems and educational technologies to support learning and assessment.
- Apply problem solving skills and research skills, to make informed decisions.
- Reflect on learning experiences, in order to assess their own learning styles and �elearn how to learn�f.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between qualitative and quantitative research, as well as primary and secondary sources, as it applies to the social sciences.
2. Introduction to academic culture
3. Information skills and blended learning
4. Essential skills for the Social Sciences
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Oral presentation||5 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Reference test||1 hour||10||N||Individual|
|Reflective Learning Journal: Part 1 – 20% Part 2 – 20%||1,200 words||40||N||Individual|
|Research Project: (a) Article analysis (week 3 or 4) – 10% (b) Concept map – 10% (c) Group presentation – 10% (d) Final submission (Reflective activity) – 10%||(a) 500 words article analysis (b) 500 words (c) 5 minutes (d) 1,200 words||40||N||Both (Individual & Group)|