PERF 2001 Arranging Music
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102566
Coordinator David Cashman Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces concepts and skills necessary to arrange music in popular-commercial and orchestral contexts. Lectures provide background on the use of instruments, harmony, timbre and texture, and tutorials provide practical exercises in preparation for the assignments.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) PERF 2015 OR
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 0425 - Arranging Popular Music PERF 2002 - Arranging Musics
- Arrange a given melody for piano/short score.
- Construct an arrangement for large ensemble of a pre-existing piano score.
- Arrange a song for a medium sized ensemble.
- Analyse the musical roles of instruments in a musical score, and be familiar with the ranges of the instruments.
- Score idiomatic parts for a range of instruments.
- Apply stylistic elements of a chosen genre to their own arrangements.
- Read and arrange simple melodies at the keyboard, and read chords from a lead sheet on keyboard or guitar.
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: Participate in and contribute to Art of Sound activities and projects, collaborating with students across the Music program to develop and enhance production, technical and performance skills.
Theoretical knowledge of harmony, chord voicing and musical textures
Practical knowledge of instrument capabilities
Practical knowledge of computer notation and musical scoring conventions
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional task (Arrangement for medium-sized ensemble)||20-40 bars||40||N||Individual|
|Professional task (Arrangements for piano and large ensemble)||30-40 bars||40||N||Individual|
|Four online tests||20 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Attendance: Art of Sound||Minimum 2 hours per fortnight||S/U||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact David Cashman Opens in new window