TOUR 5002 Frontiers in Sustainable Tourism Practice and Places
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Felicity Picken Opens in new window
Description Tourism is a practice that both reflects and creates the changing, global world. International tourism is a key driver of the human experience of globalisation including the development of global citizenry, the opportunities and obligations that accompany this and the challenges, limitations and sometimes unintended effects of seemingly inconsequential travel choices. The tourism industry is concerned with the ongoing production of novel ways of experiencing the world and draws upon innovation in science and technology as well as imaginaries to accomplish this. This subject will examine how tourism creates and responds to futures in the realms of space, economy, culture and knowledge and how we can assess, evaluate and predict the effects of these.
School Social Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 5 subject
- Examine how tourism creates and responds to futures in the realms of space, economy and culture.
- Synthesise advanced knowledge about specific futures, including the challenge or opportunity they present, key debates, approaches, and opinions.
- Develop and effectively communicate a critical position on a specific futures topic.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of futures planning via relevant methods and case studies.
- Assess the limits of forecasting and futures methods.
- Tourism, the Anthropocene and disruption.
- Tourism and alternative development paradigms.
- Tourism, science and fiction in the creation of new imaginaries.
- Tourism and new spatial frontiers (space and oceans).
- Tourism as a vector: disease and surveillance.
- Tourism and the reconfiguration of the local.
- Global citizenry and touristic practice.
- Tourism, the production of uncertainty and contradictory outcomes.
- Scenario planning and forecasting methods.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
- There is no set text for this subject. A weekly reading list with links to readings will be made available on vUWS.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Felicity Picken Opens in new window