SPRT 3002 Aquatic Sports
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400895
Coordinator Emma George Opens in new window
Description From 2016, this subject is replaced by 400866 - Motor Control and Skill. Students will actively engage in a variety of aquatic activities including rowing, canoeing, kayaking, diving, water polo and swimming. Through participation in practical tutorials, students will develop their ability to teach and coach each of the aforementioned aquatic activities in a school or community recreation setting. Students will also train in swimming to improve stroke mechanics and fitness. This will form part of the Bronze Medallion Lifesaving certification, which involves developing competencies in resuscitation, four strokes of swimming, personal survival and rescue skills.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Sport and Recreation Activities
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Students must be enrolled in 4659 Bachelor of Health Science (PDHPE).
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Articulate, compare and contrast the skills, tactics and techniques involved in swimming, diving, canoeing, kayaking, water polo and rowing performance.
- Demonstrate swimming and lifesaving skills to pass the Bronze Medallion Lifesaving certification.
- Identify and apply teaching techniques and safety principles to a range of aquatic activities.
- Develop a program for the implementation of aquatic sports in a school and/or community recreation setting.
1. Students will explore fundamental concepts in exercise science as they apply to performance in, and the teaching/coaching of the following aquatic sports:
- water Polo
- Swimming (4 strokes, as part of Bronze Medallion)
2. Through participation in these aquatic sports, students will develop an in-depth understanding of the key teaching/coaching techniques that underpin these aquatic activities in order to plan high-quality learning experiences.
Students must comply with the following special requirements: possess a current WorkCover Authority approved First Aid Certificate.