LANG 3051 Japanese 301
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101952
Coordinator Xiangdong Liu Opens in new window
Description This is a Level 3 subject within the Japanese major program, intended for students who have successfully completed Japanese 202 or have acquired equivalent knowledge. It enhances students' comprehension of and ability to use new grammatical structures, expressions, interaction strategies and Kanji characters. In addition to improving the four primary language skills and ability needed for working in Japan or with Japanese people, this subject aims to advance students' knowledge of the modern Japan through the recommended texts and class discussions. Note: This subject is not suitable for native speakers.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Eastern Asian Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 1583 - Languages and Grammatical Concepts 3A Japanese
Japanese 203 and 204 or equivalent knowledge.
- understand and use advanced grammatical patterns of Japanese;
- identify the differences between structural and lexical options in Japanese and utilise them appropriately according to context;
- communicate in spoken and written Japanese in a manner which is linguistically as well as culturally appropriate;
- read and write approximately 500 Kanji characters;
- demonstrate knowledge of the honorific system of the Japanese language and related cultural aspects of the Japanese society.
Introduction to verb forms used in honorific forms (e.g. causative and passive forms of verb)
Aural comprehension practice in Japanese by listening to authentic language
Speaking practice in Japanese using the most suitable expressions in given settings
Practice in reading a variety of Japanese materials, and exercises on material read
Practice in various forms and styles of writing in Japanese
Reading and writing of Kanji characters
Vocabulary extension exercises incorporated into points above.
There are inherent requirements for this subject that you must meet in order to successfully complete this subject. Make sure you read and understand the requirements for your subject online.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|up to 10 minutes weekly
|Equivalent to approximately 4,000 Japanese characters maximum
|2 hours maximum
- 1. Three A Network (2013) Minna no Nihongo Shokyuu 2 (2nd edition). Tokyo: Three A Corporation.
- 2. Three A Network (2013) Minna no Nihongo Shokyuu 2: Translation & Grammatical Notes (2nd edition). Tokyo: Three A Corporation.
- A collection of language and culture-specific reading materials, notes and exercises will be developed and made available on vUWS.
- Textbooks will be updated regularly.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Xiangdong Liu Opens in new window