LANG 2040 Spanish 201
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102032
Coordinator Maria Isabel Pena Opens in new window
Description This is post-beginner subject suitable for Post Beginners HSC entry or equivalent, within the Spanish programme, designed for students who take it as a major, sub-major or elective. Within the Spanish major or sub major set, it is normally taken concurrently with Spanish 202. The subject will further develop all language skills, listening, speaking, reading and writing with particular focus on a core vocabulary and fundamental structures. Cultural and social understanding is also fostered through research projects on specific cultural or social aspects that are of interest to students. A range of DELL (Digitally Enhanced Language Learning) activities are utilised for this subject. NOTE: Students enrolling in this subject as part of a major or sub major in Spanish must enrol in Spanish 202 at the same time.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Southern European Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Equivalent Subjects LANG 2029 - Language and Communication Skills 2A Spanish
Spanish 102 or equivalent knowledge.
- Demonstrate knowledge of key morphological and syntactic structures of the Spanish language;
- Use a broad lexical base and common expressions in a range of socio-cultural contexts and situations involving other learners and native speakers;
- read a range of basic text types and respond appropriately either orally or in writing
- express ideas in writing in a range of text types including descriptions, narratives, reports, journal entries, recipes, informal correspondence, short summaries;
- demonstrate comprehension of spoken Spanish in a variety of informal and formal contexts and respond appropriately-- orally or in writing;
- identify key elements of the traditional and contemporay culture and values of the Spanish-speaking people
- apply independent learning strategies for acquiring another language.
. Activities and tasks to develop grammatical forms at the post-beginner level
. An examination of a variety of oral and written genres and text types
. Listening and reading comprehension tasks for each of the different genres and text-types;
. A study of the geography of the Spanish-speaking countries with a particular emphasis on regional characteristics;
. An examination of cultural themes.
- Terrell, T. et.al Dos mundos: Comunicacion y Comunidad, (2010) 7th edition, New York: McGraw Hill with online workbook - CENTRO