DESN 2005 Graphic Design: Interactive Digital Media
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102265
Coordinator Sarah Waterson Opens in new window
Description Digital technology shapes the way we interact with our world. Design of these interactions is a crucial role for today's designers. This unit will develop students' critical interaction and visual design skills in the digital realm, including interface and experience design. Digital design specific research skills, methods and processes are covered. These include user research, persona development, storyboard development, lo-fi and hi-fi prototyping, wireframes and proof of concept methods. Students will engage with problem-based project briefs, and develop solutions that are appropriate for both client and audience needs across a range of devices. Outcomes include app, web and screen designs.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Graphic Design Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) DESN 1021
Students should have skills in producing documents or illustrations using Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Employ a user-centric view in the context of the digital design process
- Implement a critical outlook and be able to identify key issues in designing for the digital realm
- Utilise a range of methods of describing a designed experience
- Define an experience design problem as well as resolve and present that resolution to design team colleagues
- Apply interactive design processes and planning methods
- Work effectively to produce a designed digital artefact.
- experience design concepts and processes
- Instructional design basics
- Interaction design fundamentals and methods, including:
- screen design basics
- interface design: navigation systems and information architecture
- goal directed design, implementation Models and mental Models, Understanding users, Personas and goals, scenarios and requirements
- Qualitative research methods--UX design, adopt A user and needs Mapping
- interactive digital media design processes, including planning, evaluation, Revision and testing
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Essay: Milestone submissions and Lecture reflections blog||Visual design work, Blog posts Approx. 1,500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Report: Design Document for Instructional Design Project||Visual design work, annotations and precedent report. Approx. 1,500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Report: Proof of concept||Visual design work, annotations and brief user report. Approx. 1,000 words||40||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Sarah Waterson Opens in new window