PROC 2002 Innovative Foods
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Rosalie Durham Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces students to the principles of food preservation, including heat treatments, chilling, freezing, dehydration, pickles and fermentation. Factors affecting food quality are explored with respect to microbial, chemical and physical changes in food and their effects on food safety, nutritional value and sensory characteristics. The basic principles of good manufacturing practises, sanitation and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) for control of food safety will be studied in relation to the design of safe food manufacturing processes. The application of the food preservation principles to the processing of food products is covered through hands-on practicals in the pilot plant.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 8737 - Food Science Technology Practicum 12 PROC 1004 - Food Science 2 PROC 2001 - Food Science 2
Knowledge of first year chemistry and biology; understanding of food composition.
- Describe the factors affecting food quality with respect to microbial, chemical and physical changes and their effects on food safety, nutritional value and sensory quality
- Explain the principles of sustainable food processing and preservation
- Identify the development stages critical to developing innovative foods.
- Articulate the critical control points and prerequisite programs needed to ensure the safety (HACCP plan) for a food process.
2. Principles of sustainable food processing and preservation.
3. Innovative food development and manufacturing.
4. Food safety regulations and procedures, including Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quizzes||4x 15 mins||40||N||Individual|
|Laboratory report||2x 1000 words||20||N||Group|
|Final exam||2 hours||40||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Subject Contact Rosalie Durham Opens in new window