PERF 2023 The Composer-Performer
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101539
Coordinator Brendan Smyly Opens in new window
Description Students are required to both perform and compose in this unit. While students may choose to perform their own work, this unit also offers the opportunity for students to experience the particular challenges and rewards offered by the close collaboration entailed in both sides of the composer/performer interface. Each student will choose a balance of performance and composition tasks appropriate to her/his specific musical path. The unit presents basic compositional techniques and canvasses issues regarding the composer/performer relationship through a series of lectures, tutorials and workshops. Students will also continue to develop their event administration skills.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) PERF 1017
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 1099 - Music Performance 4 The Composer-Performer
Students are to have completed the pre-requisites or equivalent knowledge and ability will be determined by the Subject Coordinator.
- plan, develop and perform a project as a featured player
- acquire the skills necessary to compose for given combinations of instruments
- extend on musical communication skills acquired in earlier units
- further develop skills in music notation acquired in earlier units
- apply techniques to structure musical material
- contextualise the composer/performer experience through a detailed project proposal
- meet the challenge of giving the first performance of a new work
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: participate in and contribute to Art of Sound activities and projects, collaborating with students across the Music program to develop and enhance production, technical and performance skills. Involvement in Art of Sound will culminate in contributing to the Creativity Unlimited Music Festival.
-twentieth and twenty-first century approaches to composition spanning contemporary art music, World musics and A wide range of popular musics
-performance practice Issues pertaining to these compositional approaches
-composing Issues relating to creating works for specific performers
-personal voice and societal music-associations in composition
-contemporary Critical theory and its application to music performance, composition and The dual role of composer-performer
-programming Issues specific to contemporary composition
-theoretical and practical Issues focused on The composer/performer interface in The performance event
-strategies to maximise communication between composers and performers
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Portfolio||Either two compositions and one performance; OR one composition and two performances composition = 3-5minutes; performance = 3-5 minutes||60||N||Individual|
|Professional task||Composition = 1.5-2.5 minutes;||15||N||Individual|
|Professional task||Performance = 3-5 minutes or x 2 3-5 minutes||15||N||Individual|
|Art of Sound||Min 2 hrs per fortnight||S/U||Y||Individual|
2022 Semester 2
Subject Contact Brendan Smyly Opens in new window