CIVL 3004 Construction Technology 3 (Concrete Construction)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200502
Coordinator Md Kamrul Hassan Opens in new window
Description The aim of this unit is to introduce students to the concept of structures, loads and the effect of loads on structures in relation to concrete construction. Students will have an in-depth understanding of concrete as a construction material. It covers the construction technology aspects of concrete structural components and systems, including beams, columns, slabs and frames. Emphasis will be given to formwork design and construction. Students will be introduced to the relevant Australian Standards for concrete construction. The unit also aims at developing students' ability to deal professionally with other building professionals, including architects and structural engineers.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Building Construction Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Awareness of standard construction systems for residential and commercial construction.
- Identify and define the different loads that a concrete structure carries.
- Recognise and explain the different effects and actions caused by loads on concrete structures.
- Identify and evaluate the different structural systems available for use in concrete construction.
- Perform simple load evaluation for basic loading situations, including dead and live loads.
- Determine the structural behaviour of simple concrete elements through analysis and design.
- Explain how to design and construct form work for concrete construction.
- Explain how to manage broader issues related to concrete construction including site safety and material handling.
- Comply with Australian Standards relevant to concrete construction.
Load calculation, loading codes;
Properties of concrete;
Concrete handling and pour;
Basic components and their behaviour in concrete construction;
Components of concrete formwork;
Formwork design, falsework and site safety;
Concrete frames and methods and sequence of construction;
AS3600 Concrete Structures Code;
Innovative concrete construction;
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Lab Quiz||3 x 1hr lab quizzes||25||N||Individual|
|Assignment 1 - individual||5000 Word||5||N||Individual|
|Assignment 1 - Group||5000 Word||25||N||Group|
|Final Exam||2 hr vUWS based and non-proctored||45||N||Individual|