LAWS 7072 Torts Law
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201051
Coordinator Sonia Allan Opens in new window
Description Torts Law will provide students with the opportunity to critically analyse the key principles of Australian torts law and its impact within the broader legal context. The topics covered include legal principles and policy of a variety of torts, defences and remedies. The unit also introduces students to legal skills, statutory interpretation and legal problem solving, as well as placing the law in the wider political and social context. Students will be able to search for, analyse, and evaluate cases, statues, and theoretical writings relevant to torts law, within the common law and statute from multiple law jurisdictions, to resolve legal problems.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Co-requisite(s) LAWS 7056
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Analyse the key principles of Australian torts law and the impact of torts law in the broader legal context;
- Analyse cases to resolve legal problems based on principles of Australian torts law;
- Apply research cases, statues, and theoretical writings relevant to torts law, within the common law and statute from multiple law jurisdictions;
- Execute clear, concise and persuasive arguments in response to legal scenario-based problems relevant to torts law.
- comparative role of Tort Law, criminal Law, Contract Law and no-fault compensation Schemes
- Intentional torts
- Remedies in Tort actions
- Concurrent liability
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Task||2,000 words||25||N||Individual|
|Exam (Case-based questions)||2 hours||45||N||Individual|
- Harold Luntz et al, Torts: Cases and Commentary (LexisNexis Butterworths, 8th ed, 2017).
- Please note for the workshops a collection of journal articles and policy documents will be made available on vUWS.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Sonia Allan Opens in new window