MEDI 7067 Cytopathology, Small Biopsy and Breast Pathology
Credit Points 10
Description This unit introduces diagnostic entities in surgical pathology entities gastrointestinal and liver, breast, head and neck, paediatric, gynaecological and haemato-pathology. The unit provides training in basic research skills, communication skills, and critical thinking. The self-directed online learning module is composed of digitalized images, practical notes, recorded lectures and quizzes on the diagnostic approach to important pathological entities of the breast pathology.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects MEDI 7014 - Cytopathology and Small Biopsy Pathology 2
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4750 Masters of Medicine (Pathology).
- Evaluate advanced diagnostic entities of non-gynaecological and gynaecological cytopathology and small biopsies.
- Assess diagnostic entities in surgical pathology in the subspecialty of breast pathology.
- Critique the resources needed and technical requirements to reach the correct diagnosis in Breast Pathology.
- Effectively disseminate research outcomes using highly developed communication skills.
Advanced gynaecological cytopathology
Advanced small biopsy pathology
Students need to meet the legislative requirements to be in a supervised specialist training role in Pathology, and hence be working clinically in a hospital/laboratory setting. If a student fails to meet these requirements they will not be allowed to enrol in the subject.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Cytopathology Microscopy and Reporting||2 hours||30||Y||Individual|
|Small Biopsy Microscopy and Reporting||2 hours||30||Y||Individual|
|Breast Pathology Diagnostic Case Studies (Online task over several weeks)||20 cases ~50-100 words each||40||Y||Individual|
- Hoda S.A., Brogi, E., Koerner F.C., Rosen P.P. Rosen�fs Breast Pathology (4rd Ed.). Lipincott Williams Wilkins: Philadelphia 2014.
- Koss L.G., Melamed M.R. Koss�f Diagnostic Cytology and its Histopathologic Bases. Lipincott Williams Wilkins: Philadelphia 2006.