MECH 7003 Advanced Dynamic Systems
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301019
Coordinator Yi Wu Opens in new window
Description This unit covers three-dimensional kinematics and kinetics of a rigid body. The principles of virtual work are used to investigate the equilibrium and dynamics of mechanisms. Some key aspects of mechanical vibrations are introduced, including vibration response, vibration isolation and vibration measurement.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program
- Use Virtual work to determine the equilibrium position of a mechanism
- Analyse the three-dimensional kinematics and kinetics of a rigid body
- Model a real world system as a collection of simple mechanical components
- Determine the response to free and forced vibrations using standard differential methods or Laplace transforms
- Balance a rotating disk to reduce vibrations according to standards
- Analyse vibration isolation systems and measurement systems
- Verify the theory presented in the lectures by taking the measurements in the real world and use them for verification purposes
2. Three-dimensional kinematics and kinetics of a rigid body
3. Modelling a real world system and determining the equations of motion for mechanical systems
4. Response to free and forced vibrations
5. Balancing a rotating disk
6. Vibration isolation
7. Vibration measurement
8. Using Laplace transforms to determine the response to impulse and step forces.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Final Exam||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
|Four Quizzes||4 x 1 hour||20||N||Individual|
|Research report||10 pages||20||N||Individual|
|Practical Work||2 times x 3 hours each||10||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Yi Wu Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.