LANG 7004 Audiovisual Translation: Subtitling and Captioning
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101827
Coordinator Jing Han Opens in new window
Description This unit aims to introduce students to the framework of audiovisual translation in the form of subtitling for films, documentaries and other screen programs and captioning for hearing impaired viewers. The content of the unit will cover the principles, constraints, guiding rules, translation strategies that specifically govern subtitling and captioning. It will also introduce students to related translation theories and the application in practice. The class will be non-language specific, but students will be expected to work from and into their language other than English.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Proficiency in English and one other language (LOTE) at native or near-native level.
- demonstrate a good understanding of subtitling and captioning;
- explain constraints that govern subtitling and captioning and corresponding rules in subtitling and captioning;
- demonstrate creative and intelligent condensing principles and strategies in subtitling and the principle of verbatim in captioning;
- demonstrate understanding of domesticating and foreignising theories and their applications in subtitling;
- explain the intricacies and difficulties of achieving cross-lingual and cross-cultural communications;
- demonstrate a high level of language proficiency in a variety of text genres.
Introduction of linguistic and cultural dimensions to subtitling and captioning
Introduction of relevant translation theories and their application
Practical strategies in subtitling and captioning
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study Report||1000-1500 words||50||N||Individual|
|Intra-language subtitling||Part of English script from a TV program in word document||30||N||Individual|
- Please refer to Learning Guide for details (if any).
2022 Semester 2
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Jing Han Opens in new window