BUSM 3058 Practice Management for Health Professionals
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400156
Coordinator Diana Messum Opens in new window
Description From 2017 students should take 401149 - Exercise Physiology Across the Lifespan. This subject is aimed to introduce the student to the management issues in establishing and working in a clinical practice. While the subject will cover issues related to health professionals and public sector management, the focus of the subject will be on issues in private practice. The aim of the subject is to introduce the student to a wide range of topics, including an over view of health care funding in Australia, private and public health system, developing a business plan, different business structures, financial management, managing staff and occupational health and safety issues.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Business Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the global components of the health care system within Australia, with particular emphasis on funding arrangements for private and public sector funding.
- Identify the key elements of a successful business plan, extrapolating these into a small business in a health care profession.
- Outline the essential elements in establishing a small business, including business viability and raising capital.
- Discuss the key issues in financial planning of a small business, with particular emphasis on taxation, insurance and related issues.
- Manage a budget, with consideration to the income and types of expenditure required.
- Delineate different business structures and employment arrangements, including partnerships, associates and affiliates.
- Discuss the issues associated with the employment of staff, including employer and employee obligations.
- Explore concepts and roles of leadership and management styles.
- Identify the occupational health and safety issues within a small business and formulate ways in which a practice can be managed according to these guidelines.
1. Overview of the Australian health care system
- private Vs public sectors
- funding Models for health care in Australia
- health Insurance
2. Setting up a small business
- Raising capital
- developing A business plan
- developing A Marketing plan
- Risk analysis
- financial analysis
3. Financial Planning and Evaluation
- managing budgets
- capital Expenditure
- Recurrent expenses
- taxation and related Issues
- investment and finance
- funding, Loans and financial resources
- investment and capital growth programs
4. Business Structures
- company, Trusts etc.
- registering A company
5. Types of employee contracts
- rights and obligations of employers and employees
- Workcover and compensation
- Insurance Issues
- employee Vs affiliate Vs partner
6. Managing Staff
- management and competencies
- management styles and leadership
- employee relations
- staff Recruitment and selection
- staff retention
- performance management
7. Occupational Health and Safety Issues