BUSM 3022 Hospitality Profitability and Entrepreneurship
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200994
Coordinator Karina Wardle Opens in new window
Description This subject examines operations management in the hospitality sector, as a means to achieve profitability. Students will develop advanced knowledge and desirable attributes applicable to operational planning, financial management, risk management and legal compliance, human resource management, business relationship management and sustainability. Special emphasis is placed on providing students with knowledge and skills to make informed decisions to proceed and develop their own ventures or alternatively be more innovative within existing businesses.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects BUSM 3020 - Hospitality Management Operations
Introductory level of knowledge in hospitality management.
- Formulate strategy, design and improve the delivery system, and use appropriate tools for managing aspects of a hospitality facility;
- Apply relevant operations management tools and theories to a range of hospitality business case studies and contemporary operational challenges to identify issues and recommend solutions to problems typically faced by this industry;
- Critique the interaction between operations and other aspects of hospitality management, including ethical, strategic and financial considerations;
- Evaluate the styles of leadership and managerial qualities required to function as an effective manager of a Hospitality enterprise;
- Examine the new service development process and project feasibility analysis.
- contemporary Trends and Global Operations
- Project management in hospitality
- human resource management
- managing capacity and demand
- Asset management
- legal compliance and Risk management
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- managing business relationships
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Portfolio||3,000 words (6 x 500 word equivalent tasks)||70||N||Individual|
- Van der Wagen, L and White, L 2018, Hospitality management (with online Study tools), 4th edn, CENGAGE. ISBN: 9780170411424
Sydney City Campus - Term 2 (2023)
Subject Contact Daniel Townsend Opens in new window