HUMN 3119 Emergency Field Operations: Supply Management and Logistics
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Garry Stevens Opens in new window
Description This subject will equip students with the required skills to assess organisational capacity to respond to disasters and other complex humanitarian emergencies. The subject will cover logistical frameworks and tools for planning, the sustainable deployment of goods and services, and monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of local and global supply chains. It will discuss the challenges, ethical, and political dimensions of supply chains and contingency plans in emergency and disaster response contexts.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Studies in Human Society, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects HUMN 2022 - Emergency Field Operations Supply Management and Logistics
- Articulate logistics principles, processes and frameworks and their adaptations in humanitarian emergencies
- Describe key challenges, ethical issues, and political dimensions of humanitarian logistics
- Use recognised tools to plan and monitor supply chains and evaluate their effectiveness
- Assess organisational capacity to respond to a humanitarian emergency
- Conduct and report a Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA)
- Assess the role and effectiveness of the Logistics Cluster in humanitarian response
- Articulate principles of sustainable deployment of goods and services
- Logistics and supply chain management: key concepts and frameworks
- Logistics in humanitarian emergencies: challenges, standards and the Cluster Approach
- Preparedness and procurement: setting up local and global supply networks
- Transport, warehousing and distribution
- Assessment and monitoring: conducting a Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA)
- Co-ordination and Communication in emergency response contexts
- Security and civil-military co-operation
- New logistics frontiers: services, cash transfers and market support
- Human resource management
- Sustainability and performance evaluation
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||1500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Applied Project||2000 words||30||N||Group|
|Short Answer||2 hours||40||N||Group|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Garry Stevens Opens in new window