ENGR 4029 Industrial Design Project (Completion)
Credit Points 40
Legacy Code 300774
Coordinator Jean Payette Opens in new window
Description The Industrial Design Honours Program provides students with an opportunity to apply their industrial design skills to an in-depth year long design research project. In Industrial Design Major Project (Completion), Honours candidates respond to the research findings and design brief that they produced in Autumn semester. They undertake detailed design development to resolve and communicate a final design solution, which is publicly exhibited at the end of the year. Their design and research communications present a strong argument for the final design and demonstrate the honours candidates capacity to undertake postgraduate design research and to join professional design practice.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 40cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Pre-requisite(s) ENGR 4028
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 1049 - Industrial Design Project (Completion)
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in Bachelor of Industrial Design or Bachelor of Industrial Design (Honours). Ethics clearance must be obtained if required.
Knowledge related to the successful completion of year 3 Industrial Design is assumed and successful completion of Industrial Design Project Commencement and Industrial Design Project Commencement’s co-requisite subjects.
- Plan, manage and report on an in-depth design investigation
- Produce a scholarly exegesis which demonstrates a critical, comprehensive understanding of industrial design methods.
- Craft an exhibition standard presentation model.
- Produce detailed industry-standard technical specifications for the manufacture and assembly or production of their design solution.
- Generate engaging, professional graphic communications that explain their design solutions to a wide audience.
- Present and defend a logical argument for the novelty, sensitivity/appropriateness and feasibility of a design solution supported by scholarly and practical research and conceptual exploration and development to a wide audience
- Communicate how design decisions were arrived at with a detailed visual process diary and concept development models.
- Prove the structural and/or mechanical integrity and manufacturability of any physical design solutions.
The unit is composed of weekly lectures, tutorials, workshops and consultation sessions: core area studies which the subject supervisors will guide students through and staff/student meetings called on a needs basis to address final year management issues; eg. exhibition.
Topics discussed in the sessions include:
Low and Hi Fidelity Prototyping
Career and Graduate Options
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|High Resolution Working Model
|Visual Process Diary Completion
|A4 Visual Process Diary
|3D Modeling & Engineering Drawings
|6000-8000 words (5000 words submitted in 300773)
|1) Concept Development (10 minute presentation) 2) Concept Development (10 minute presentation)