BUSM 1042 Introduction to Business Analytics
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201090
Coordinator Premaratne Samaranayake Opens in new window
Description The unit will introduce, explore and analyse key concepts and methodologies related to business analytics, analytics development and tools/techniques in broader business and organisational contexts. The ability to identify, collect, extract, analyse and visualise data is vital to organisations for developing strategies and making strategic/operational decisions. Business analytics uses a variety of tools and techniques using several systems/platforms to process and transform data into useful information and knowledge that can be used for evidence-based decision making at strategic, tactical and operational levels.
Discipline Business and Management, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
- Identify and classify business problems that require business intelligence from business analytics.
- Apply business analytics development methodologies to business problems.
- Recommend business analytics techniques, tools and methodologies in applied case scenarios.
- Explain ethical and governance aspects of business analytics applications.
- Evaluate the tools and techniques used in developing business analytics applications (e.g. dashboards) and performance reports.
- Collaborate with team members in a productive manner supporting diverse viewpoints in relation to business analytics.
Working with big data to address management challenges
Data and Information for management decision making
Model Building for strategic planning
Visualisation and communication for a range of business stakeholders
Social network analysis
Business analytics development methodology
Design and agile thinking for business analytics projects
Ethical aspects, governance and security.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||2000 Words||40||N||Individual|
- Vidgen, Richard, Samuel N. Kirshner, and Felix B. Tan. Business analytics: A management approach. Red Globe Press, 2019.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Premaratne Samaranayake Opens in new window