COMM 7009 Mobile Media
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101743
Coordinator Kate Richards Opens in new window
Description The proliferation of the mobile device and the evolution of mobile networks has profoundly changed the social and interpersonal sphere and the global media landscape. This unit combines both theory and practice to engage with Mobile Communications and Society: the cultural, family and interpersonal consequences of mobile communication and its effect on every day life, social cohesion, political and economic activities, social development and change, and Mobile Media: current media production and distribution platforms, practices and trends. This unit includes the production of content for distribution via mobile devices.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
- Explain the main theoretical issues associated with the adoption and use of mobile communication
- Critically evaluate the social consequences of mobile communication
- Independently identify an interesting research question about mobile communication and society and carry out an empirical or theoretical enquiry.
- Contextualize mobile media production and distribution within the converged media landscape
- Describe history of mobile media and the methods of mobile media production and distribution
- Manage the production and delivery of mobile media content
- Research, plan and pitch a mobile media project
- Mobiles and The personal sphere
- Mobiles and The public sphere: politics, Civil society, activism, social movements, social capital, regulation
- digital Divides: Mobiles for development and social mobility
- Mobile as A Mass medium
- characteristics of The Mobile medium
- content Distribution on Mobiles: types, modes and platforms
- content Standards and Formats for Mobile media production and delivery
- Streaming video/Mobile TV
- Walled Garden Vs Mobile internet
- Mobile Advertising
- Mobile media: business Models & Consumption Trends
- Mobile internet best practices
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Research Report: Mobile Communication and Society||1,500 words||40||N||Individual|
|Mobile Media Production||20||N||Individual|
|Mobile Media Campaign Pitch/Presentation||15 minute powerpoint presentation 10-12 slides, and written report of maximum 1,500 words||40||N||Individual|