PUBH 7004 Communicable Diseases
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400840
Coordinator Slade Jensen Opens in new window
Description In Spring 2023, this subject replaced by PUBH 5001 - Infectious Diseases and Outbreak Response. This subject will encompass clinical aspects, epidemiology, prevention and control of important communicable diseases, both in Australia, and globally. Specific topics covered include causative agents, routes of transmission, host responses, risk factors, environmental influences, vector- and food-borne diseases, vaccine-preventable diseases, legislative requirements, surveillance, outbreak investigations, bioterrorism, strategies for prevention and control and emerging challenges.
Discipline Public Health
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Describe the major communicable causes of disease burden, in Australia and internationally, their routes of transmission, risk factors and clinical features.
- Discuss how causative agents, host and environmental factors interact to produce illness in individuals, and shape patterns of communicable disease in populations.
- Describe epidemiological methods used to investigate outbreaks of communicable diseases.
- Describe principles of surveillance, prevention, and control for communicable diseases.
1. Major communicable causes of disease burden
2. Causative agents, routes of transmission, host responses, clinical features
3. Role of individual risk factors and environmental influences
4. Vector- and food-borne diseases
5. Vaccine-preventable diseases
7. Outbreak investigations
9. Communicable disease prevention and control
10. Emerging challenges
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||3,000 words||60||N||Individual|