JUST 7005 Working with Offending Behaviour: Integrating Theory to Practice
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101894
Coordinator Selda Dagistanli Opens in new window
Description The unit begins with an analysis of offending behaviour and criminality through the lens of different theoretical perspectives. The unit will then examine the way in which offenders are assessed for risk and the role criminal justice agencies play in examining risk. The unit will build on this knowledge by considering the range of interventions and treatment programs available to offenders in addressing their behaviour. The unit will conclude by examining the range of criminal justice agencies that play a role in working with offenders, with a particular focus on how this work is done within the community.
School Social Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Eligible students who have completed the Graduate Diploma in Strategic Leadership Program at NSW Police Management and Leadership Centre; or the Graduate Diploma of Executive Leadership (Policing and Emergency Services) at the Australian Institute of Police Management will receive Advanced standing for this subject.
- Demonstrate an understanding and application of the theoretical frameworks used to understand offending behaviour.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of risk assessments practices used with offenders.
- Identify and analyse offender interventions and treatment programs.
- Bring critical awareness and understanding to the management of offenders.
a. Theories of the ?eIndividual?f.
b. Theories of the ?eSocial?f
c. Theories of the ?eStructural?f.
2. Actuarial and Clinical Risk Assessments
3. Offender intervention and program content
4. Management strategies for working with offenders