JUST 7003 Governance and Accountability in Policing Practice
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101893
Coordinator Selda Dagistanli Opens in new window
Description This subject will focus on understanding contemporary corporate governance and accountability within the practice of policing. Core to the content of the subject is the study of the commitment by governments to practices at an individual and organisational level that are based on accountability, contestability and lead to continuous improvement. The role of leadership in shaping and driving the commitment to continuous improvement in service delivery will be considered as well as issues concerning performance measurement, transparent governance, and accountable processes. Best practice policies and systems will be used within the teaching of this subject and examined through a case study teaching approach.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Police Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Eligible students who have completed the Graduate Diploma in Strategic Leadership Program at NSW Police Management and Leadership Centre; or the Graduate Diploma of Executive Leadership (Policing and Emergency Services) at the Australian Institute of Police Management will receive Advanced standing for this subject.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Analyse a policing organisation in terms of performance management and accountability mechanisms.
- Reflect on the role of accountability and governance in policing organisations.
- Demonstrate depth of understanding of the importance and advantages of continuous improvement mechanisms to policing practice.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to contribute to the governance and accountability of policing agencies.
1. Governance ? theories and practice
2. Accountability ? theories and practice
3. Governance and accountability in police organisations
4. The impact of governance and accountability on policing practice
5. The historical development and current context of performance management in policing practice
6. Continuous improvement in the delivery of policing